Friday, January 4, 2013

Moroccan Potato, Carrot, and Chickpea Stew

*Disclaimer*: I am NOT a food photographer.  I take decent pictures of landscapes, but I'm finding that I'm a total failure at taking good pictures of food.  Maybe one day I'll figure out how to set up a good composition on my own table, but for now my focus is the food. =)

Tonight I made a Moroccan stew.  I loved it, but I must warn you that it was not a big hit with the kids.  I think the raisins turned them off and they just couldn't get past that.  It was delicious, so I'm ignoring their opinions tonight.

I got this recipe from my very first issue of Vegetarian Times in 8 years.  I don't really know why I quit getting it, but this year I decided that I had always loved the inspiration it gave me and I needed it back. So glad I did it—there is something so much more satisfying about thumbing through a magazine than clicking through websites…

Moroccan Potato, Carrot, and Chickpea Stew
Serves 4; takes 30 minutes or fewer

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
8 oz. peeled baby carrots **(I used 2-3 medium "adult" carrots, sliced. Worked fine)
2 large shallots, diced (1 cup)
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved, divided
⅓ cup dark raisins
1 ¼ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish **(I used almost an entire lemon; I had zested one and needed to use it. It tasted great!)
4 oz. fresh spinach leaves (2 cups)

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potato, carrots, shallots, salt and pepper; sauté 3 minutes.  Add chickpea liquid, raisins, cumin, and pumpkin pie spice. Toss to blend, and bring to a simmer.  Cover; simmer over medium-low heat for 8 minutes.  Mix in 1 cup of chickpeas. Cover, and simmer 2-4 minutes more, or until potato and carrots are just tender.
2. Place remaining chickpeas on a plate and mash coarsely with a fork. Mix crushed chickpeas and lemon juice into stew.  Mound spinach on top.  Toss gently 1 to 2 minutes, or until spinach is reduced in volume, adding more water, salt, and pepper if desired. Divide stew among shallow bowls. Serve with lemon wedges.

Per 1-cup serving: 343 cal; 11 g protein; 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat); 60 g carb; 0 mg cholesterol; 381 mg sodium; 8 g fiber; 15 g sugars.

This recipe is Vegan and Gluten Free

No comments:

Post a Comment